Monday, May 3, 2010

Owls are birds too ya know!


So sorry that this post is out of order, but it's a good one none the less. This story begins at about 8:30 on a Sunday night. I was heading back to old Rexburg from a visit with Tyler. This is in the same car that I had the ROCKS ICE BIRDS OH MY excursion in. Curses! I was in the abyss of traveling through a construction zone of 50 mph through Malad. I am following a car in front of me who decides to swerve off the right, and before I know it, my once bad instinct was to swerve to the left, careening off into incoming traffic, and down a huge ditch witch popped both my front tires. It was all so sudden, I was in shock and couldn't believe I almost hit a deer (which now I know better to just hit the dead bambi.)
So shame on my instincts because it's about 10:30 at night and I am in a ditch with flat tires, and a ways from my appartment. Luckily a cop came ( a hillbilly himself) and helped me out. A while later he came trapsing back with what looked like a HUGE carcas. When he got closer I realized IT WAS A GREAT HORNED OWL!!!!! Those things have a 6 foot wing span, and the poor dead thing in the middle of the road that I thought was a fawn WAS A FREAKY BIRD!!! I mean what are the odds? The cop asked me if I didn't mind if he took it home to stuff, and as I said go ahead, I was mad I didn't just hit the pristine looking dead owl. I have to admit though, owls do kind of look cute, so if I almost died to the fowls of the earth, I guess it would be best to go by this guy.

Later the tow truck guy came as well, and luckily I only spent another hour or two in that tiny town. I was lucky I didn't roll the car, or hit another driver, and was grateful it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

No comments: